Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I Have An Idea! (Part II)

Totally irrelevant to the first idea, but I decided to go try to catch a UPS truck. To put it in shorter words.

It all started with the purchase of my accounting books last week. I got a great deal, but really push the deadline for the actual class date deadline. The books arrived last Friday, but since neither my roommates nor I were present to pick up the books, they were deferred to a Monday drop-off. So to anticipate the reception of the book early, I took my lunch break at my apartment yesterday. The slip (tracking slip) said a drop-off time between 10am to 5pm. Pretty broad, I know. So I wait for a bit and loss interest. So, I changed my cloths and went back to work. Keep in mind, that I've been worrying about the packages since Friday. Even through my Milwaukee Saturday.

Anyway, I left a command on the slip and stuck it back on my front door. Directions were to drop-off in front of the door. Second, I signed it in green, so it would clash and be open to the eye next the UPS colors. So at last, I went back to work. Towards the end of the day, I went back to Micki's and off back to the apartment to iron her cloths for work. Ghastly, I saw that there was another slip on my door. I was fuming. I really wanted the books that day. I called and was thinking in the back of my mind that I wanted to call the UPS driver idiots. Keep in mine the driver is a singular noun and even though there could have been different drivers in the singular sense, my word choice for displeasure was idiots. Unfortunately, I'm not that type of guy to bitch at people on the phone, so I decided to play nice because the woman on the phone was very nice and sounded attractive. In reality she could have been like 30 with 3 kids and a welfare check stub in front of her cubicle in middle-of-nowhere North Dakota. I digress; I calmed and anticipated another day of waiting. I also planned to pick up my packages if need be.

I called the next day to arrange the pickup of my packages. So expecting another nice and customer pleasing UPS attendant, my worries dissipated. Interesting enough, I got a serious, take-it-up-butt-attendant that told me my faults and that I should have someone be available there. The secondary signee could be my roommates or my neighbors. Lost for options for pickup and delivery, I left for another lunch today to anticipate my packages.

I left for lunch a few before one. I went home, had a Boston Crème yogurt and almonds to snack on. I waited for another 20 minutes and grew disappointed again. I have little patience don't I? I changed my contacts for glasses and left back for work. Now I was almost 2:00. As I got to the Paulina stop, I saw a UPS truck. My heart jumped. Not because of on-coming traffic, but for the fact that my packages could be in that rectangular automobile. I walked briskly. And briskly some more. Wait...oh no! The driver left the Rug store and bolted for the next block. So in my finest polo/khaki wearing dressing cloths I too bolted for the overgrown station wagon. Luckily it was only a block. In total disregard for the next customer for the driver, I shouted, "Do you have a package for 1734...," with my sweated, exasperated voice. He looked at me like if I was the Unabomber or something.

In totally sucking the conclusion or closing, I'll just leave with the image of clouds, sun, and a windy breeze. I received my packages and skipped merrily back to my place of employment. It will not be the end of my charades you know. As long as the Chan is alive, there will be many stories to tell, many facts to add, and many memories to add to your life.

This has been a Chan-Really-Life production. All rights, ideas, thoughts, and euphemisms are copyrighted and can not be used without the express written concern to myself. No Chan was harmed in this production, all parties involved in this story were really involved and any similarities, characters, names, titles, or people associated with this story are completely coincidental.

No comments: