Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Cure...

As a tribute to Peter Jennings, below is the link to the American Lung Cancer Association Donation page. As a member of society, humor juxtapositions, quips, and laughs are just a few of my contributions, but another contribution I have to society is my generosity and my humanitarian nature.

I believe in small government and the "invisible hand" of economy. Specifically, I believe also in in the invisible hand of friendship. If I can help, assist, do, or participate in something important for someone, I'm there. Not just for my family, friends, 9/11, birthdays to wakes, or weddings to breakups, but for any needed moment that my presence can truly help a cause.

Lung cancer takes several lives every year. This year, it claimed one of the brightest and contributing members of our society, Peter Jennings. He wasn't just an anchorman or your news reporter. He was your voice that kept you up-to-date information in what was going on, on 9/11. He didn't just report the news, but gave you the humanity in the news. I attribute a lot of my inquisitive nature to the Big Three; Brokaw, Jennings, and Rathers. They were my Three Amigos during my childhood when I would be glued to the television. Yes, I did watch a lot of cartoons, but my dorkyness and current events savvyness is attributed to the style and nature of how they presented news and stories into my RCA every night. Do you remember Tiananmen Square in 1989? Do you remember the Persian Gulf War? Do you remember the assassination of Itzhak Rubin?

You probably do. You may not know that I consider Peter Jennings as my generation's Walter Cronkite. Seldom do we owe thanks for our news. With what happen in the 2000 General Elections and CBS's 2004 Rather-gate fall-out, do we really get to appreciate the media any more? Tabloid news, gossip, reality-news and "Access Hollywood" may seem to have dumb down the media and news, but not to Mr. Jennings. Mr. Jennings had my attention in every election, story, and event. You became an adult with newsmen like Mr. Jennings.

Thank you Mr. Jennings. Thank you for giving me the desire to learn about the Middle East, but importantly about my country. You made me consider the importance of history to people like El Sadat, Moubarak, Qadhafi, and Ayatollah Khomeini. You didn't just report the news, you handed it off like a baton and I ran to with it and learned.

For Mr. Jennings, I’ll contribute to the American Lung Association. My invisible hand wants to help find a cure. Cancer has touched my family before and the search for the cure is my long-life mission. I alone can not make a difference, but my action speaks volumes. Together we can make a difference. Let’s help someone that’s on the line. It’s too late for Mr. Jennings, but it’s not too late for an aunt, uncle, friend, or the person right next to you. Quite frankly, probably yourself too.

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=22556

1 comment:

The Namby Pamby said...

God, I want a smoke